Tuesday, August 25, 2009

There has got to be something seriously wrong with me

I mean it. I might be truly fucked up in the head. It's been almost two weeks now since I banged up my ankle in training and it still isn't right. But still I wake up at 4 am, bum ankle and all and hobble my ass dow to the gym for an hour of getting my ass kicked. I've regained most of my range of motion back but it still hurts like a bastard to put pressure on the ball of my foot and my achilles tendon tightens up like its about to snap. But I soldier on. I went back to class on Saturday for my first two-hour long class and I held up pretty well.

The first hour was all combo work. Jab, cross, hook, leg kick, hook, counter...same old same old. The only downside was that I was partnered up with a chick who is 5' nothin. Me being 6 foot posed a bit of a reach and distance problem. There was one combo where i had to throw a body kick and she would catch it with her left hand then hit me with a right hook to the head, then throw my leg down and hit me with a left jab. But because of the foot height difference she hit me with a hook to the body and a jab to the shoulder.

Today was a little better though. My training partner today was the same height as I am and he's genuinely a great guy to train with. He's the kind of guy that pushes you harder and makes you a better fighter. This morning I was holding the pads for him and he just destroyed my left arm with the power in his hooks. I got him back though when we traded off and he was holding for me. When it came time to finish off with either a right cross or an uppercut (my two strongest punches) i just unloaded and jacked up his arm as bad as he did mine.

The training is still going well but it's a slow process. No weight loss yet but I have noticed that my arms are already getting more defined. Pretty soon I'll have some "sick guns", sorry it's apparantly required that any guy that trains in any fighting style refer to his arms as 'guns'. And before you ask, yes, that means that next summer I will be wearing more sleeveless t-shirts than Rob McElhenny on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment